TARBELA 4TH EXTENSION HYDROPOWER PROJECT- BRIEF
TARBELA 4TH EXTENSION HYDROPOWER PROJECT- BRIEF
The main objective of the project development is to facilitate a sustainable expansion in Pakistan’s electricity generation capacity. This would be realized by installing three (3) units of 470 MW each with a total capacity of 1,410 MW hydropower plant on the existing Tunnel 4 of Tarbela Dam without affecting irrigation releases, with almost no exposure to social and environmental hazards generally associated with Hydro-power Projects. The project is considered a “low-risk- high reward” operation aimed at providing additional 3,840 GWh annually of least-cost low-carbon renewable energy from Tarbela Power Station. Main structures e.g. dam, tunnel, switchyard, other infrastructure like roads, colonies, offices, labour camps, workshop areas, storage yard areas etc already exist. The project will thus be made operational in minimum time.
SALIENT FEATURES OF T4:
- Capacity : 1,410 MW
- Projected Energy : 3,840 GWh/Year
- Annual Capacity Factor : 31%
- Cost Estimate with IDC : US$ 928.9 million
- World Bank Loan : US$ 840.00 million
(IDA US$ 440 million + IBRD US$ 400 million)
GoP US$ 88.90 million
- Economic IRR : 30.3% ~ 36.7%
- Financial IRR : 17.56% ~ 21.49%
- Implementation Period: : Three & a half years
RAISING OF T3 AND T4 INTAKES:
- Tarbela Project Tunnels 3 and 4 are to be raised as part of Tarbela 4th Extension project to extend the generation life of the reservoir by raising the dead storage level so as to prevent early siltation.
- Both intakes are of the same design
- Dia of Raised Intake T3 & T4 = 13.7 meter
- Height of Raised Intake T3 & T4 = 55 meter
- Structure : Reinforced Cement Concrete Lining
CONSTRUCTON PHASE OF THE PROJECT:
Contract for Project Supervision and Implementation Assistance (PSIA) signed with the JV of Mott MacDonald Limited UK and Coyne-et-Billier France with MMP-Pakistan and ACE-Pakistan as sub-consultants, on 12 March 2013. The Supervision Consultants have already mobilized.
PROJECT COST: IMPLEMENTATION PHASE:
Based on the proposed project structure and work done so far the project’s total cost has been estimated around US$ 928.900 million (Eq.PKR 83,601.036 Million at Exchange Rate 1 US$ = PKR 90) including Interest During Construction.
- A Loan Agreement amounting to US$ 840 million (International Bank for Reconstruction and Development US$ 400 Million & International Development Agency US$ 440 Million) has already been signed between GoP and World Bank on 12.04.2012 while the balance amount PKR 17,736 M will be financed by WAPDA from its own resources.
- The loan (loan # 8144-PAK & Credit # 5079-PAK) became effective on 27.04.2012.
- The Project at an estimated cost of Eq.PKR 83,601.036 Million with FEC of Rs. 65865.368 million has been approved by ECNEC on 16th August 2012.
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION PLAN:
- 05 No. bids were received on the target date of 04 Jun 2013 from the following pre-qualified Firms / JVs which were opened on the same date as per World Bank’s prescribed procedure:
- Yuksel Insaat AS Turkish - Single Entity
- China Gezhouba Group Company Ltd (CGGC)Chinese - Single Entity
- Dogus Insaat ve Ticaret AS Turkish - Single Entity
- DEC-HEC-KHNP JV Korean - Joint Venture
- Sinohydro Group Ltd Chinese - Single Entity
- The bid evaluation was undertaken by the Consultants in accordance with the World Bank’s criteria and the World Bank accorded No Objection Letter to M/s Sinohydro China as the lowest evaluated bidder on 26 Jun 2013, with total cost of PKR 26,053,312,385.
- Letter of Acceptance issued to M/s Sinohydro – China on 17 August 2013.
- After confirmation of Performance Guarantee, the Contract Agreement signed with Civil Works Contractor M/s Sinohydro China on 09.09.2013.
- Bidding documents have been issued to the following pre-qualified Firms / JVs on 23 July 2013:
- JV of Voith Hydro GmbH & Co KG and Voith Hydro Shanghai Ltd.
- JV of Dongfang Electric Corporation (DEC) and Sinohydro Group Ltd.
- Andritz Hydro GmbH.
- JV of Harbin Electric Company Ltd (HECL) and China Gezhouba Group Company (CGGC)
- OJSC “Power Machines”.
- The target date for receipt of Bids is 23.10.2013.
TRANSMISSION SCHEME FOR DISPERSAL OF POWER FROM TARBELA 4TH EXTENSION HYDROPOWER PROJECT:
No additional 500KV transmission line shall be constructed for power evacuation of Tarbela 4th Extension Hydropower Project. Existing lines are capable for power dispersal of the generation from new Power House.
SCHEDULED PROJECT COMPLETION:
- Project Completion Duration Three & a half years
- No Land Acquisition.
- No Fresh Resettlement / Rehabilitation issues.
- No major Social / Environmental issues.
- Minor environmental issues e.g. dust & noise pollution will be properly taken care of during construction as per international standards for mega projects.
- One (1) Million Families will benefit from additional generated power units.
- Load shedding will be substantially reduced.
- Annual benefits of the project estimated at about 30.7 Billion Rupees after completion of the Project.
- During Construction period 2000 ~ 2500 jobs will be available.
- For O&M Phase 400 ~ 500 jobs will be available.